Wednesday, August 17, 2016

Here we are and here we go..

The collective 'we' or 'us' is myself (GJ), Sully, three children, two dogs and a black cat. I guess the modern term is blended but I did not bring any children or pets into the family. All I brought was my baggage of failed marriages and relationships from my past. A brief look at who we are.

I have a varied background but I have worked in public safety for over 25 years. Originally from Ohio and moved to Colorado after a 16 year sentence in Florida. The beach is nice and enjoyed it but the mountains were where I was always traveling to for skiing, climbing, biking and camping. Paid the mountain tax (lower pay) in 2003 and never looked back. I am currently in my late 40's with the desire to explore and play of a 20 year old.

Sully also has done a bit of this and that in her past. One of the twins suffers from Dravet Syndrome and seeing the benefits of canibidiol (CBD) in controlling her seizures she is now working for a non-profit to deschedule CBD on a national level. She also came to Colorado to fulfill her love of the mountains and left Conneticut to attend college in Ft Collins.

The children are Big Boy (13) and the twins girls (Pidgeon and Charlie). Max and Pidgeon are homeschooled and show a level of maturity that only comes with having to 'grow up' with another family member that is suffering from a life threatening disease. The successful treatment of Charlie with CBD and the incredible special needs programs in the public school system allowed Charlie to start attending public school this year.

Sully and I have both experienced the joy of divorce a couple of times. We were both about to give up on the online dating scene and we met on our 'this is the last date I am going on'.. Needless to say we could be a cheesy Match.com TV add. The moment we saw each other there was a mutual this is it moment. 

I did not know that she was feeling this when she sat down in front of me so I had to deal with my insecurities as I saw her looking away and me thinking that there is no way this highly intelligent and articulate woman is interested in me. I can say that our first date never ended and we have never been apart except for traveling for work or me being on duty. Although we knew right off how we felt we waited and then included the kids and her ex husband.

I was the consumate Colorado bachelor. If I was not working I was out being the serial recreationalist and taking advantage of what is offered here and in the surrounding states. My past partners never wanted children and when I was dating I didn't seek women with children, almost avoided them actually. Once I met Sully I didn't care that she had children or that one was special needs. I will admit that I was nervous and had some reservations but I have experienced love and acceptance in a way that I did not think possible. 

There have been some hiccups and serious discussions between all of us. But through talking and being open we keep going and grow closer. This is what this blog is going to be about. Us growing, exploring and hopefully showing others that there is a life out there. You should not be held back because you have or do not have children, that you have a special needs child or that your relationships failed. Life and people are out there and you have to keep going. The difficulties of the past make the moment you meet a special someone so much more apparent. 

We are active and embrace life. Welcome to our shit show, it is amazing!

 

 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment